Skip to main content


Thank you for your patience, our online registration portal (SDCars) and the DMV Kiosks are now online and able to process your registration requests. 

read progress

Find Out How To Replace Your Lost Title

minute read

How to replace your lost title in South Dakota

Have you accidentally lost the title to your vehicle, trailer or boat? The Department of Revenue has laid out the tools and information you will need to replace your lost information. 

1. Complete the Duplicate Title Application

By completing the duplicate title form, you are stating the original title has been either

  1. lost;
  2. stolen;
  3. destroyed;
  4. mutilated;
  5. illegible; or
  6. was never received.  

2. Complete the Odometer Disclosure

The Odometer Disclosure states the vehicle's actual mileage at the time of request for the duplicate title. Was the title for a vehicle less than 10 years old or does your vehicle have a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 16,000 lbs. or less? 

3. Signing For Someone? Have Your Power of Attorney Application On File

Are you an individual that is not the owner of this vehicle, but is signing for the owner? Attach your completed Power of Attorney form or begin this process before completing the duplicate title application.

4. Visit Your Local County Treasurer's Office

Compile all the above documents that are necessary to your specific needs, $10 to cover the fee and visit your local county treasurer's office


Did you apply for a duplicate title and have not received it in the mail? Find out what to do by visiting our blog post here.

Recommended Articles

Winter 2024 Newsletter is Available!

The Winter Newsletter is here! Read it to learn about municipal tax changes, HB1090, available property tax relief programs, and more!

Read More about Winter 2024 Newsletter is Available!

2023 Department of Revenue Annual Report

Catch up on highlights from the past year, see where South Dakota compares to other states and view statistical reports in the South Dakota Department of Revenue Fiscal Year 2023 Annual Report.

Read More about 2023 Department of Revenue Annual Report