Skip to main content

Online Services

Man using the DOR Online Services

What Can We Do For You Today?

Welcome to the Online Services page, where individuals and businesses can can file taxes, ask questions and get answers—electronically. Browse our tools and resources to find out how we can help you today.  


Online Motor Vehicles Services

The Motor Vehicle Division provides and maintains your motor vehicle records. Our online services allow you to: review and renew your vehicle registration/decals and license plates, purchase new license plates, opt-in for email renewal and general notifications, find out the estimated renewal cost of your vehicles, report the sale of a vehicle and print a seller's permit.


Non-commercial vehicle fees are issued in accordance to the vehicle's age and weight. Visit the staggered, non-commercial vehicle fee page for current rates. Other fees, as well as policies on other vehicles, can be found on the Title & Registration page.

Yes. Individuals and companies may renew online through the online Vehicle Registration & Plates portal.

Yes. Individuals and companies can change the address on the customer record in the online Vehicle Registration & Plates portal.

A seller’s permit allows the new owner to drive legally while waiting to apply for title. A seller's permit may be printed by the seller using the online Vehicle Registration & Plates portal or may also be obtained at a county treasurer's office. The seller's permit is valid for 45 days. The seller has 45 days to deliver title. If necessary, the buyer may purchase a 5 to 15-day permit from the county treasurer's office as per SDCL 32-5-8.3.

Yes. You'll start by visiting the online Vehicle Registration & Plates portal. Click the VIN CHECK icon, enter a vehicle identification number (VIN) and you will see if there is a lienholder on that vehicle.

Yes. Log into the online Vehicle Registration & Plates portal, select the vehicle that was sold and choose report of sale in the dropdown menu.

Online Tax Services

Our handy online tax services help individuals and business owners with fast, efficient filing of tax forms. Use our online Filing & Tax Payment portal to file and pay the following taxes: 911 Emergency Surcharge, Contractor's Excise Tax, Sales and Use Tax, Motor Fuel Supplier, Motor Fuel Importer/Exporter, Motor Fuel LNG, Motor Fuel Ethanol Producer and Bank Franchise.


Motor Fuel Ethanol Producer, Importer/Exporter, LNG, and Supplier licenses and 911 Emergency Surcharge licensees are required to file and pay electronically.

Sales, use or contractors’ excise tax taxpayers may file returns and pay taxes electronically.

You select your username (minimum of 8 characters) when creating an account in our online Filing & Tax Payment portal. The username selected when creating your account is the administrator and is the only user that can add or edit user accounts.

The initial password is mailed to the licensee’s address. You are required to select a new password when you log in the first time. Passwords may be changed online at any time.

Passwords must be a minimum of 8 characters and must contain at least 1 upper case letter, 1 lower case letter, and 1 non-alphanumeric character (!@#$%^&*()?).

If you forget your password, select “Forgot your Password”. You will need to answer one of the three security questions you set when you signed up. If you are not able to reset the password, please call 1 (800) 829-9188, to have the password reset.

The administrator can allow multiple people (users) to access the account to file and pay returns by creating a username for each person and selecting the license(s) that person may access.

The new user’s account is given a computer generated password. Be sure to provide that password to the new user. The new user must select their own password, enter their email, and answer their security questions the first time they log in. A user can only see licenses the administrator designates.

The administrator is the only user that can add or edit user accounts. The administrator is the user that created the account.

Only one online Filing & Tax Payment portal account is required for an owner that has multiple licenses (all operating under the same FEIN.)

To file returns for multiple licenses under one account, create an account using the license number and name for one of the business locations. When you log in, select Change Profile, then Add License. Enter the license number, owner name or DBA of the business and the tax due on the last non-zero return (or a “0” for 911 Emergency Surcharge licenses). Click Add. Select Assigned Licenses. The license added should show in the Current Licenses list.

When you select File Return or Payment all licenses added should show in the top drop down box. If this does not work, verify that each license has the same FEIN, if so, contact the Department at 1 (800) 829-9188 to help set up the accounts. IF the licenses do not have the same FEIN, you will need separate online Filing & Tax Payment portal accounts for each.

If you wish to file only one 911 Emergency Surcharge return for multiple locations please contact the Department at 1 (800) 829-9188.

Our online Filing & Tax Payment portal is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Current returns will be available about the 1st of the month after the return period. If you have not filed returns for previous reporting periods, you may do so at any time through our online Filing & Tax Payment portal.

Past due returns and payments can be made through our online Filing & Tax Payment portal. This system will automatically calculate interest and penalty for you.

If you do not have an online account you can contact the department at 1 (800) 829-9188 for the return forms and to assist with calculating interest and penalty.

Returns filed electronically are due the 20th of the month. If the 20th is a Saturday, Sunday, legal holiday or a day the Federal Reserve Bank is closed the return is due on the next succeeding day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, legal holiday or a day the Federal Reserve Bank is closed.

The Deadlines Calendar lists the due dates for each month.

Payments made electronically are due the 25th of the filing month. The Department of Revenue must receive the payment on or before the 25th of the month.

Pay by ACH Debit or credit card, or make a payment, using our online Filing & Tax Payment portal. If you do not have computer access, call 1 (800) 829-9288.

ACH Debit: Under this method, you authorize the Department of Revenue to transfer the tax payment from your bank account to the Department's bank. The amount to be transferred is the “Amount” shown on the Scheduled Payment page. Payments will be transferred on the date you select.

Some banks block ACH Debit transactions. Be sure to contact your bank to authorize the Department’s ACH Debit transaction. The Department of Revenue's bank originator number is 9466000364.

ACH Credit: Under this method, you tell your bank to send payment to the Department of Revenue's bank account. You must notify your bank to make the payment transfer for each filing period in time to ensure Department’s bank receives the payment on or before the second-to-last working day of the month.

You are also responsible for any costs associated with an ACH Credit payment.

Transfers must be made in the NACHA CCD+ format using the TXP Convention. The bank must include your license number in the TXP information. If it is not included the Department will not know which account to apply the payment to. Please provide a copy of the ACH Credit Bank Information to your bank.

Credit Card: You may make a credit card payment using Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. A 2.45% convenience fee will be charged for each credit card payment.

Paper Check: If you are unable to pay electronically, you may send a paper check.

You must file all returns, even if no tax is due.

Motor Fuel returns: This can be done easily by selecting the manual option for data entry and hit next without entering any data.

Sales and Contractors’ Excise Tax: Select “No” for Filing Activity question “Do you have anything to report for this period?” select next, review, and then submit your return.

911 Returns: Select the return to file, enter “0” as your gross receipts on line 1, review, and submit your return.

You will have a credit on your account that may be used on future returns. Motor Fuel and Bank Franchise accounts may request a refund.

If you pay by ACH Debit, enter your return information and continue to the payment method page. If the credit is more than the Total Due, select “No Payment at this time.” You cannot enter a negative payment Amount. If the credit is less than the Total Due, subtract the credit from the Total Due and enter the difference in the "Amount” box on the Scheduled Payments page. You owe this amount.

If you pay by ACH Credit, reduce the payment amount you request the bank send by the amount of the credit. If the credit is greater than the Total Amount Due, do not send a payment, the credit will apply to the balance due.

All returns and changes to returns are automatically saved. If you did not submit a return, you may access it by selecting File a Return, on the Tax Return Filing Menu, select Edit a Saved Return. Then select the return you wish to complete from the drop down list.

If you select File a Return and select a return previously started, you will see a message giving you an option to restart that return or to select Edit a Saved Return.

Submitted returns will not display under File a Return or Edit a Saved Return.

No paper returns will be sent. Returns must be filed electronically. If you are unable to file a return electronically, contact the Department.

Online Support Services

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Have a specific question you need an answer to? The Department of Revenue provides real-time support for users via Live Chat. You can speak with a business tax professional to help answer any questions that you have along the way. DOR also provides pro-active training to South Dakota's entrepreneurs through our Business Education Program


You can live chat with a Department of Revenue business tax professional during the hours of 8am - 5pm CST, Monday through Friday (except holidays). Messages that DOR receives outside of live chat monitored schedules will be addressed as soon as possible on the next business day. 

Contractor’s Excise Tax Seminar

  • How and when to apply for a contractor’s excise tax license
  • Projects for qualifying utilities and governmental agencies
  • Prime and subcontractors
  • Sales and use tax
  • Owner-furnished materials
  • Reservation projects
  • How to file excise tax returns


Basic Sales Tax Seminars

  • How and when to apply for a tax license
  • Exemptions from sales and use taxes
  • Use tax
  • Municipal Taxes
  • Purchases for resale
  • How to file returns (paper and electronically)