Dealer Vehicle Licenses
People who engage in the business of selling vehicles, whether exclusively or in addition to another occupation, are required to have a motor vehicle dealer license. All businesses must become licensed with the Motor Vehicle Division before any sales transactions occur. An initial violation of this requirement is a Class 2 misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation is a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person may act as, offer to act as, or hold himself or herself out to be a broker. A violation of this requirement is a Class 2 misdemeanor.
- Any person not engaged in the sale of vehicles/boats/off-road vehicles as a business and is disposing of vehicles/boats used solely for personal use if the vehicles/boats/off-road vehicles were acquired and used in good faith and not to avoid the provisions of this chapter.
- Any person who sells less than five vehicles/boats in a 12-month period, unless the person is licensed as a dealer in another state or holds himself or herself out as being in the business of selling vehicles/boats. However, if the vehicles are travel trailers, any person who sells less than three travel trailers in twelve months.
- Regulated Lenders as that term is defined in SDCL 54-3-14.
- Financial Institutions chartered or licensed in any other jurisdiction that acquires vehicles/boats as an incident to its regular business and sells such vehicles/boats to dealers licensed under this chapter.
- Vehicle Rental and Leasing Companies that sell their used vehicles to dealers licensed under this chapter.
- Any Nonprofit Automobile Club if selling automobiles twenty years old or older under the provisions of Chapter 32-3.
- Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing or converting new vehicles/boats if selling such vehicles/boats to a licensed dealer holding a franchise from the original manufacturer of the vehicle/boat.
- Any person acting as an auctioneer if auctioning South Dakota titled vehicles for a licensed dealer or a person who is exempt from the provisions of this chapter.
- Any Towing Agency that acquires and sells a vehicle which has been towed at the request of a private landowner under the provision of Chapter 32-36 or at the request of a law enforcement officer, if no vehicle is sold for an amount over one thousand two hundred dollars ($1,200).
- Any person not engaged in the sale of vehicles as a business who operates fleets of vehicles is disposing of vehicles used in the person's business, if the same were acquired and used in good faith and not to avoid the provisions of this chapter.
- Any South Dakota nonprofit corporation which gives a donated vehicle to a needy family or individual.
To see a complete list of licensed motor vehicle dealers, click on the link below.
Before a dealer’s license may be issued the Dealer License Application must be submitted to the Motor Vehicle Division. The actual (paper) dealer license is issued for a 5-year period, unless canceled or revoked for cause by the Motor Vehicles Division; however, each year, a License Renewal Notice and Billing is sent out by the division approximately 3 months before the expiration of the license. Failure to renew a dealer license before its expiration will result in the dealer being charged the same fee as the initial license fee.
New License Fees
- Boat Dealer - $250
- Vehicle Dealer/Used Car Dealer - $300
- Mobile/Manufactured Home Dealer - $300
- Motorcycle/Off-Road Vehicle Dealer - $250
- Snowmobile Dealer - $150
- Trailer Dealer - $125
License Renewal Process
The actual (paper) dealer license is issued for a 5-year period, unless canceled or revoked for cause by the Motor Vehicles Division; however, each year, a License Renewal Notice and Billing is sent, either electronic or paper form, by the division approximately 3 months before the expiration of the license. The License Renewal Notice contains all important data on file relative to the dealership. A dealer that is exempt from the requirements of using an online system, must then sign and return the renewal notice to their local county treasurer by the deadline date shown on the Notice and Billing. Payment of the annual dealer renewal license fee and dealer plate fees must accompany the License Renewal Notice and Billing. A dealer utilizing the online system will file and pay their renewal electronically.
Renewal License Fees
In the event a dealer possesses more than one type of dealer license, the dealer must renew all the licenses during the license renewal month assigned to the dealer. Failure to renew a dealer license before the expiration date will result in the dealer being assessed the same fee as the initial license fee.
(if submitted before the expiration of the license)
- Boat Dealer - $175
- Vehicle Dealer/Used Car Dealer - $175
- Emergency Vehicle Dealer - $175
- Mobile/Manufactured Home Dealer -$150
- Motorcycle/Off-Road Vehicle Dealer - $150
- Snowmobile Dealer - $125
- Trailer Dealer - $100
The Motor Vehicle Division provides one-on-one training and will do special request training. Our agents offer training for new car dealers every other year, as well as training for the counties and auto dealers.
Dealer agents answer dealer business questions, provide training and instruction on compliance and procedures, enforce laws and regulations, investigate complaints and violations, conducts inspections and more.
|Dealer Licensing Office
|445 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
|Dealer Program Manager - Watertown
|715 South Maple
Watertown, SD 57201
|Dealer Agents - Rapid City Office
|221 Mall Drive, Suite 103
Rapid City, SD 57701
|Dealer Agents - Sioux Falls Office
|300 South Sycamore Avenue, Suite 102
Sioux Falls, SD 57110
|Dealer Agents - Aberdeen Office
|420 South Roosevelt Street
Aberdeen, SD 57401
More Dealer Vehicle Resources
- South Dakota Dealer Requirements (PDF)
- Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) - Section 13 (PDF)
- South Dakota Dealer's Manual (PDF)
See what others are asking the Department of Revenue about Dealer Vehicles.
People who engage in the business of selling vehicles, whether exclusively or in addition to another occupation, are required to have a motor vehicle dealer license.