Sales and property tax refund program open to senior citizens and citizens with disabilities
PIERRE, S.D. – South Dakota senior citizens and citizens with disabilities have until July 1 to apply for sales or property tax refunds under South Dakota’s Tax Refund Program.
Under the program, certain individuals are able to receive a portion of the sales or property taxes they paid from the previous year if they meet the eligibility requirements.
To be eligible for the sales tax refund, individuals must meet the following qualifications:
- Have incomes of less than $14,949 for a single-member household (only one individual in the household) or less than $20,141 for a multiple-member household;
- Be a South Dakota resident during all of 2022; and,
- Either been 65 years of age or older for the full year for which their refund is claimed or have been declared disabled under Social Security or Veteran’s Administration guidelines.
To be eligible for the property tax refund on their home, individuals must meet the sales tax requirements along with the following qualifications:
- Owned the house they are currently living in for at least 3 years; and,
- Owned their house for fewer than 3 years but have been a South Dakota resident for 5 years or more.
The deadline to apply for the program is July 1, 2023, and applications must be submitted by mail to the Tax Refund Office, 445 E Capitol Ave, Pierre, SD 57501-3185.
Applications are available at local county treasurer offices and on the Department of Revenue’s website at https://dor.sd.gov/media/jgxela5m/2022-sales-property-tax-refund-elderly-disabled.pdf
For additional information on the tax refund program or other tax relief programs, please contact the Department of Revenue at 1-800-829-9188.