Trucking Industry


Phone: (605) 773.2104(605) 773.2104

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is a plan to simplify the reporting of all fuel (gasoline, diesel, propane, and gasohol) use taxes by commercial motor carriers. The agreement allows a trucker/company to obtain one fuel tax license, issued by their base jurisdiction, authorizing them to travel in all IFTA member jurisdictions. For more information, check out the International Registration Plan page.

Prorate and Commercial Licensing

Phone: (605) 773.3314(605) 773.3314

If you are a business person who transports any item, your vehicle must be commercially licensed within every state in which it travels. Vehicles carrying loads under five hundred pounds or which qualify for another commercial exemption are not required to have a commercial license in South Dakota. Please contact the department for further information on exempt vehicles.

Vehicles traveling exclusively within South Dakota will need an in-state commercial license, which may be purchased from county treasurer’s offices. If you travel outside South Dakota, you will need either a trip permit or an IRP license (more commonly referred to as a prorate license). IRP licenses are sold only by the South Dakota Department of Revenue’s Division of Motor Vehicles. For more information, check out the Trucking Industry page.

For information on licensing vehicles involved in custom harvesting, check out the harvest letter.

Home  |  SD.GOV  |  DOR Intranet |  SD News  | Privacy Policy
445 E Capitol Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501

© Copyright 2012 - State of South Dakota