Motorcycles/Off-Road Vehicles

Chapter 32-03

Included in this category are motorcycles, off-road vehicles, motorbikes, mopeds (51cc or larger), bicycles with a motor attached and all motor operated vehicles of the bicycle or tricycle type or a platform on which the driver stands. Excludes tractors.

An Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration must be completed and filed in the county of the applicant's residence. The application must be signed by the record owner(s) or by an authorized agent for the record owner(s). If the application is signed by an authorized agent, a power of attorney document must be attached to verify the appointment.

A purchase order, sales contract or bill of sale will be required if the Dealer Price Certification is not completed on the application.

Attach to the application the manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) or title properly transferred to the applicant.

Motor vehicle titling and registration fees are done through your local county treasurer's office. Click here for all applicable license fees that must be paid to the county treasurer.

Moped (50cc or smaller)

Chapter 32-03

A moped is defined as a motor driven cycle equipped with two or three wheels. If a combustion engine is used, the maximum piston or rotor displacement shall be 50cc, regardless of the number of chambers in such power source. The power source shall be equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only, not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.

Proof of sales tax paid is required if a moped is titled and licensed.

Home  |  SD.GOV  |  DOR Intranet |  SD News  | Privacy Policy
445 E Capitol Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501

© Copyright 2012 - State of South Dakota