Information about increases to Fuel Excise Tax, Motor Vehicle Excise Tax and Annual Vehicle Registration Fees.
Senate Bill 1, also known as the Highway Funding Bill, was adopted by the South Dakota Legislature and signed into law. Senate Bill 1 becomes law on April 1, 2015. The following changes will be made as a result of this law:
- Motor vehicle excise tax will increase from 3% to 4% for vehicles purchased on or after April 1, 2015.
- Certain non-commercial vehicle license fees will increase by 20%. Those included are:
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV, vans, pickups, etc.)
- Gross weight vehicles under 20,000 pounds
- Motor Homes
- On July 1, 2015, license fees for non-commercial gross weight vehicles over 20,000 pounds will increase from 60% of the commercial vehicle rate to 70% of commercial vehicle rate. Additionally, on July 1, 2016 the fees for this category of vehicles will increase to 80% of commercial vehicle rates.
- Motor fuel tax will increase by 6 cents.
- Gasoline and special fuel (clear diesel) will go from .22 to .28 cents
- Ethanol (ethyl and methyl alcohol) will go from .08 to .14 cents
The Department of Revenue is working to update its website and documents to make them consistent with Senate Bill 1. On or after April 1, 2015, the provisions set forth in Senate Bill 1 will control if there is any conflict with a statement found on the Department website or documents.