Skip to main content


Due to the Governor’s executive order, our offices will be closed until May 4th. Our staff is available via chat or at 800-829-9188 to answer your questions.

read progress

Sell Your Vehicle by Completing Three Simple Forms Today!

minute read

Selling a vehicle? Don't worry, we've made it easy for you! Whether you are selling a car, a boat, or anything with wheels that is licensed, there are three forms you need to complete in additional to signing the title over to the new owner.


Seller's Report of Sale eForm

For your protection, the Seller's Report of Sale may protect you from liabilities resulting from driving or the movement of your vehicle after the date of the sale. By completing this form, you are notifying the state of South Dakota of the sale or transfer of this motor vehicle or boat. Please sign, finalize and submit this form online through the following link:




The following two documents are forms that need to be submitted with the title application when selling or transferring a vehicle. Please complete and give to the purchaser so they can take them into their local county treasurer's office.


Bill of Sale

When you sell a motor vehicle or a boat, you are required to fill out the Bill of Sale form. This states that you are transferring your personal property from your name to another individual's name. Please print out your completed form and give it to the purchaser. The purchaser will need this document when they take the title paperwork to the applicable county treasurer's office to complete the transfer.


Complete this Form


Odometer Disclosure

Federal and state law requires that you disclose a vehicle's actual mileage on each transfer of ownership. Complete this disclosure statement if the vehicle being transferred is less than 10 years old and weighs less than 16,000 pounds. Please print your completed form, along with the Bill of Sale form, and submit it with the title paperwork to the applicable county treasurer's office.




Recommended Articles