Skip to main content


Our offices are open, however, for the safety of our visitors and employees we are requesting you call and make an appointment to meet with us. Some of our staff continues to work remotely and we want to make sure we have the proper coverage to assist with your questions and to provide assistance.

You can reach us:

  • Chat - our online portal is located in the orange circle in the lower right corner on each page of our website,
  • Phone - 1.800.829.9188
  • Virtual Office Visit - schedule an appointment to speak with one of our business tax agents

Each of the options are available during our normal business hours, Monday thru Friday 8:00-5:00 PM CST. 

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

You’ve got questions; we’ve got answers. See what others are asking SD DOR.


Business Tax

If you have questions specific to business tax, they may be answered by emailing business tax directly at

Our offices are open to appointments only. Please contact us through our chat app on the DOR website at or by telephone at 1-800-829-9188.

The only licensees that may deliver alcohol outside of the licensed premises are off-sale package liquor licensees (PL) that also have an off-sale delivery license (PD). If you are unsure if your current license(s) allows delivery of alcohol, please call us at 1-800-829-9188, or email us at

You may be able to sell alcohol at your licensed premises for off-premises consumption if you have the appropriate license. The following licensees may sell the alcohol they are authorized to sell for off-premises consumption:

  • On/Off-Sale Malt Beverage and South Dakota Farm Wine Licensees (RB)
  • On/Off-Sale Wine & Cider Licensees (RW)
  • Artisan Distiller Licensees (AD)
  • Farm Winery Licensees (FW)
  • Microbrewery Licensees (MB)
  • Microcidery Licensees (CD)

On-Sale Liquor Licensees (RL, RR, CL) may not sell alcohol for off-premises consumption. If you are unsure if your current license(s) allows you to sell alcohol for off-premises consumption , please call us at 1-800-829-9188, or email us at

Yes, as long as the transfer of title to the alcoholic beverage occurs on your licensed premises.

Yes, under South Dakota law the production of alcohol for use in hand sanitizer is an industrial use and not under the same regulatory structure as the production of alcohol for human consumption.  You may need to check with Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) to see if there are federal restrictions.


If you have questions specific to lottery, they may be answered by emailing lottery directly at

If players have a winning ticket that is more than $100, they should claim their winning prize by visitng a validation center or by signing the back of the ticket and immediately submit the ticket along with a claim form by mail. The claim form and instructions can be found at While validation centers are open, we will require all visitors and staff to abide by social distancing guidelines set by the CDC. Please be sure to follow the instructions located on signage at each location. 

Motor Vehicle

If you have questions specific to motor vehicle, they may be answered by emailing motor vehicle directly at or by contacting one of our motor vehicle departments directly. Please see our contact page for further resources.

Our online services allow you to review and renew your vehicle registration/decals and license plates, purchase new license plates, opt-in for email renewal and general notifications, find out the estimated renewal cost of your vehicles, report the sale of a vehicle, and print a seller's permit. Annual license renewals can be done online through the Vehicle Registration & Plates portal at

You can also renew your vehicle registrations in less than five minutes by visiting a license renewal kiosk. A vehicle owner can navigate through the easy touch screen (voice assistance available) with a valid South Dakota driver’s license, South Dakota identification card, or if a company, the information provided on its renewal notice. Once the payment has been submitted and the transaction is completed, the license renewal tags and vehicle registration are dispensed directly from the machine. To find your nearest DMV Now License Renewal Self-Service Kiosk, please visit

The Highway Patrol, as always, will continue to enforce the traffic laws as required. At the same time, troopers are given officer discretion on whether to issue or not issue citations or tickets depending on the circumstances. Please contact your local police department and sheriff's office if you have further questions.

March 2020 registration renewals for noncommercial and commercial vehicles expiring on March 31, 2020 will be given an additional month to renew their registrations by May 1, 2020 without accruing interest by the Motor Vehicle Division.

Although most county offices have reopened, we recommend you call them to see how best to submit your paperwork. You can find your local county treasurer's contact information here.

If you have a valid South Dakota Drivers License or Identification card you can renew online at or at one of our kiosk locations If you do not have a valid SD Drivers License or ID, you will need to contact your local county treasurer to renew.

Yes, information can be found at If you have questions regarding the waiver, please contact your local county treasurer’s office here

You should use a Windows based computer and Google Chrome for the browser. Our site is not currently compatible with Apple products or mobile devices.

Your password needs to have a symbol, a number and an uppercase letter and be at least 8 characters long.

You will need to contact the Department of Public Safety at or call them at 605-773-6883 option 6

You can email and a motor carrier representative will assist you.

You can email it to

You can email and an agent will assist you.

You can email and a dealer agent will assist you.

You can email and an agent will assist you.

No, you need to submit your initial title and registration application, duplicate license plate or registration requests, special license plate applications to your county treasurer’s office. If you send it to the Motor Vehicle office it will be returned to you.

Property Tax

If you have questions specific to property tax, they may be answered by emailing property tax directly at

There is no authority in state law that allows for a deferment or a delay of the property tax payment deadlines. The State of South Dakota does not levy or collect any real property taxes.

If you are concerned about your ability to pay your real property taxes, state law provides for the late payment of real property taxes with an interest penalty. The interest rate would be .8333% per month (for a full year, a rate of 10%) that will be applied to the amount owed. For example, if a business chooses to not pay the pay the first half taxes that become delinquent on May 1, the business could pay the first half taxes in July along with 3 months of interest at .8333% per month.