Liquor (Retailer, On-Sale within City Limits) Fact Sheet


Examples of Retail On-Sale Liquor Licenses

  • Bars
  • Restaurants selling alcoholic beverages

Who Needs a License?

Anyone selling beer, wine and spirits for customers to consume on the licensed premises.


The department encourages applicants to review the laws that apply to this license.


In municipalities of various classes: municipalities of the first class, not less than one dollar for each person residing within the municipality as measured by the last preceding federal census, the renewal fee for such license is fifteen hundred dollars; municipalities of the second class, no more than twelve hundred dollars; municipalities of the third class, no more than nine hundred dollars. A Federal Alcohol Stamp is also required.

How to Apply?

Contact your local finance officer for availability of licenses, the cost and what the local process is for obtaining a license.

Home  |  SD.GOV  |  DOR Intranet |  SD News  | Privacy Policy
445 E Capitol Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501

© Copyright 2012 - State of South Dakota