Rebuilt Vehicle check list (cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles and trailers over 3000 pounds)
- During the rebuilt process, all titles, MSOs/MCOs, bills of sale, invoices, receipts or any other ownership information for vehicles and parts used in the construction of the vehicle must be saved.
- Once the vehicle is completely assembled and in running condition, the applicant shall complete an Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration along with an Application for Inspection of Rebuilt Motor Vehicle and submit the forms to your county treasurer’s office.
- The forms must be submitted along with any original titles, MSOs/MCOs and copies of all other bills of sale, invoices, receipts or any other ownership documentation.
- Title application fee is $10.00 and the inspection fee is $25.00 both payable to your county treasurer’s office.
- Rebuilt vehicles are subject to an inspection by the Department of Revenue. There are three inspection locations across the state. Inspections will be scheduled according to where and when the applicant chooses.
- Sioux Falls – with inspections taking place the first Wednesday of every month
- Pierre – with inspections taking place the second Wednesday of every month
- Rapid City – with inspections taking place the third Wednesday of every month.
- The vehicle must be brought to the designated location. After the inspection, the owner may take a copy of the certificate of inspection to their county treasurer’s office to purchase license plates and pay any applicable taxes due. Reciprocity will be given for any sales tax paid on the purchase of parts used in the construction. Upon proof of taxes paid, a rebuilt title will be issued.
- Homemade trailers under 3000 pounds would receive a homemade serial number from the county treasurer’s office. That serial number will be place on the trailer by the applicant and verified by a law enforcement officer.